Friday, May 7, 2010

"I was glad when the witch was dead"

Cologne - "Well, clearly I am still a member of the Cologne club ice," says Gundi Busch, who was 53 years ago was the last time in the cathedral city, now sits in the café Reichardt and thoughtful look at the cathedral. Impish smile, the graceful old lady adds: "Even though I've never paid contributions."
There is a good reason: In 1954, the then 18-year-old for the CEC in Oslo sensational figure skating champion, after Cilly Aussem (Wimbledonsiegerin 1931) and Hans Schaefer (soccer world champion 1954), she bore the name of "sport city of Cologne in outside world.
Therefore, she was appointed the first female in Cologne "honorary senator," the CCG ( "Carnival decorations and hat I have). And that is what gave her the then Ford's director, Dr. Meyer ( "Germany needs people like you who raise our reputation abroad again"), a Taunus Cabrio, which later caused a sensation in Gundis City Milan: "I always drove too fast and parked wrong, but the Italian police said only gently, oh, the blond German. "
What nobody knew at that time: the beaming smile always hated the teenage figure skating, and he hated the woman who tormented her success - her mother Leopoldine called "Poldi".
"The smile was just in me," says the now 73-year-old daughter, "the fairy tale image of the Ice Princess is happy in her biography (see info box) but" will be completely destroyed "," I wanted to be an interior designer, but my mother let you do that. And my father was a henpecked husband. "
Thus Poldi Busch, the 10-year-old forced to have huge training stint, "eight or nine hours a day," when ice cold on the Riessersee, even if they had fever, even if the feet festered for too narrow boots. Gundis protest: "I slammed into the ice-skates with anger - and was even better." After the World Cup title she hoped that the relentless skating mom "was now satisfied and I could not stop." But had Gundi, not yet of age, had sold off for two years to a U.S. ice shows.
Happiness is nonetheless become Gundi Busch: "My husband has saved me." That was the legendary Swedish Ice Hockey World Champion Lulle Johansson, 1951, she saw the first time - at their club in Cologne, where he played with the former champions Preußen Krefeld. The two married in 1955, moved to Stockholm. And here was Gundis hatred for the new mother's diet: "When I was pregnant with Peter, she told me on the phone, I wish that the child is born dead." It's incredible - the settlement is made according stark: "She was a witch. I was glad when she was dead. "
The fact that figure skating has taken place even later, with no holds barred, has Gundi Busch in Stockholm stunned seen with my own eyes, as if Iris Chang, the observed in the GDR celebrated trainer of Kati Witt: "Whenever a runner began to fall, she threw a handful of tack right there on the ice, where the opened a little later ... "
Also of interest
Gundi: "My ice-cold life"